• MMFC

First game match report

Match Report: KSQ 5-2 Mental Mechanics [Temple 4', Temple, pen, 60'.]

*** No team lines were available to us from KSQ so none of the KSQ player names will feature in this report***


Mental Mechanics FC played their first ever match in a pre-season friendly away to KSQ of South Queensferry. MMFC took an early lead through Lewis Temple, but the home side fired in four goals without reply to take a 4-1 lead at the break. KSQ play a handful of divisions above MMFC but in the second half there was not much between the sides at all - a Temple penalty was almost enough for MMFC to “win the second half” before KSQ scored a header with practically the last kick of the game.

Liam Kelly was outstanding throughout - he was actually a late replacement after Jon Fraser failed a fitness test. He made a couple of excellent tackles within a couple of seconds of one another in a cagey opening couple of minutes. Both challenges prevented KSQ getting in on goal really early doors. That set the tone for an excellent personal performance for the rest of the game.

That paid rewards after Temple opened the scoring. After pressing the ball high, the right midfielder dribbled past a couple of men and then calmy slotted it beyond the goalkeeper. An excellently taken individual effort that goes down in history as Mental Mechanics first ever goal.

The lead wasn’t to last long though. KSQ had a great chance from a corner as after a knock down their played lashed over the bar from close range. It must have taken a nick off of a defender though as KSQ got another corner. They didn’t need a second invitation as the second corner was met by a thumping header to even the score.

Not long after, Allan ‘Pudge’ Methven made a very smart save to deny a KSQ player who got beyond the defence. The keeper was quickly off his line to close the angle and he blocked well. Up the other end, Charlie ‘Chico’ Sanda had a chance but the angle was tight. He poked it beyond the goalkeeper but after a goal line stramash, KSQ cleared with a few players ready to bounce.

The game was fairly end to end at this point but it was KSQ who got their noses on front. They disposed our player at the edge of the box and ended up 2-1 ahead. The striker had the option of squaring it to his team mate, but he stroked it home beyond Methven who had no chance.

Pudge had to be at his very best to stop KSQ going further ahead. Their left winger was through again and seemed certain to score. Pudge got something on it but the ball still appeared to be rolling goalward - only for the keeper’s touch to eventually see it roll into the side netting instead. He then got a fingertip to touch a later shot onto the woodwork.

KSQ made it 3-1, and whilst it looked as though Sanda had been taken clean out for a penalty which could have made it 3-2, KSQ instead then went and added a fourth. 4-1, then, was the score at half time. MMFC started well but the experience and fitness of KSQ began to come through as they imposed themselves as the half wore on.

MMFC changed formation in the second half - and changed goalkeeper. With the person writing this match report on for the second half, the details of the second half might not be as detailed as the first…

With MMFC going with 3 in midfield they really began to impose themselves more. An excellent Sanda through ball set off Craig Roy but he couldn’t make a clean connection. Sanda himself then missed a good chance as the ball dropped for him on the half volley that he usually scores.

Up the other end, KSQ broke into the box and got a shot away that the replacement MMFC keeper saved instinctively with his right foot. A couple of minutes later the keeper, rather nervously, saved again with his feet - this time by booting the ball into touch rather than trying to hold it. (Pudge could have held it!!)

MMFC then got their second goal, this time from the spot. A shot was blocked by the arm of a KSQ defender and Temple stepped up to take it. The KSQ keeper guessed correctly but Temple made no mistake by smashing it low to the goalie’s right.

The game became more of a midfield battle thereafter - with KSQ having more of the attacking play but MMFC’s midfield really starting to gel with their defence holding firm with some excellent tackles being made.

The next best chance KSQ had was their centre forward, who had became a bit irate after being unable to get out of Kelly’s back pocket, got clean in on goal. With him, the goalkeeper and MMFC centre half Joe Newman all going for the ball, they eventually managed to thwart the danger, with the covering defender able to clear.

Then a KSQ cut back seemed to have given them a certain goal, but an outstanding flying block from that man Kelly again prevented a certain goal. The danger wasn’t clear but the rebound was blasted well over with the keeper closing the angle down.

A disaster moment was almost had as KSQ again looked dangerous with a cut back. The striker’s shot should really have been a goal. However it was completely miscued - only for it to then be almost inadvertently turned into his own net by the keeper. A combination of the keeper and a plethora of defenders just about kept the ball out - although KSQ were furious that a goal hadn’t been given.

For all their good defensive play in the second half, it looked like MMFC might have escaped with a second half clean sheet. It wasn’t quite to be. Another cut back, this time with only a couple of minutes to go, was met with a powerful downward header that found the bottom corner.

It was a hard one to take conceding a fifth goal with so little time left, but KSQ’s play probably deserved a goal, even if it took them the entire half to get one.

5-2 the full time score line. KSQ played well, but for a first ever performance Mental Mechanics should be very proud. This team are well above us in the pyramid and it was a performance to be proud of and one that will certainly be built upon.


Post Match Quotes:

Team President Fin Anderson said:

“I can’t be more proud of the entire club. From all the hard work the committee has put in, to the players who are creating a brilliant atmosphere around the club. To finally get to see the team playing was a very special day for me.

I know Charlie would be very proud. We didn’t get the win but for the first game it was a good performance and more importantly the team’s attitude and willingness to support one another was brilliant.

Team Coach Ross Wilson said:

“Result aside, it was a really pleasing performance. Putting two past a team who won their league last year and play two divisions above us is good to see - especially as its our first game we’ve played with each other.

In the first half, I don’t think we retained the ball as well as we could have. But we made the change at half time to drop an extra body into the midfield which helped us massively.

After this I felt we were in the game more, took our chance from the spot and looked pretty comfortable up against a team levels above us.”

MOTM Liam Kelly said:

“I felt that the game started off a bit shakey with us never having played before but in the second half we got in under control. I’m happy with the performance from the boys and their attitude to keep playing even when we’re down. The scoreline did not reflect the performance from the Mechanics.

Lewis Temple, Mental Mechanics first ever goal scorer, all time top goal scorer and only ever goal scorer said:

“It was great to get a run out. It’s been a while! I’m glad to get two goals today in the first game - hopefully there’s more to come. And hopefully we have a great season ahead.

I’ll need to rest my legs tonight though!”


Kyle Brown’s Man of the Match: Liam Kelly. A standout all day. I’ve known Liam for a while now and he has always said he was actually a decent player. Well, he certainly walked the walk today being the best player on the pitch. He had a good game both at left back and at centre half and looks a great option for the team heading into the season.

Sean Brown must have been some player to beat Liam in the air back in the day….

Coach Ross Wilson’s MOTM: Alex Dow. “I though Alex slotted in brilliantly at left back. He pushed us up the park when we were pinned in and made two unbelievable tackles in the latter stages of the game.”

Mental Mechanics Team: Allan Methven; Fin Anderson (C), Steven Foote, Joe Newman, Liam Kelly; Lewis Temple, Josh MacPhee, Eugene Gerry, Alex Dow; Kerr Milne, Charlie Sandá

Subs: KB, Trialist, Craig Roy, Ross Wilson, Michael McRea


It’s been a blast bringing you coverage of the first ever Mental Mechanics game and even getting a wee run out myself. Stay tuned for coverage of our next game as we look to have a handful of more friendlies before the season begins.

33 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All